Meat in the urine.

I just received a call from my aunt saying "My uncle is now in the hospital and he has to stay in since they found meat in his urine" My question is how come ???? and what do you think he has???
Asked On : Mon, 1 Feb 2010
We presume the term 'meat' means muscle in Urine. Normally urine will not contain muscle in it. There can't be muscles present in the urine. But myoglobin, a protein present in the muscle cells, can be found in the urine in cases of muscle destruction. Myoglobinuria is usually the result of rhabdomyolysis or muscle destruction. Any process that interferes with the storage or use of energy by muscle cells can lead to myoglobinuria. The most common causes of myoglobinuria in adults are Alcohol and Drug abuse, usually in relation to muscle necrosis from prolonged immobilization and pressure by the body weight. Prolonged ethanol consumption and seizure activity, similar to excessive physical activity, can produce an imbalance between muscle energy consumption and production, resulting in muscle destruction. In children and adolescents, the most common causes of rhabdomyolysis and myoglobinuria are viral myositis, trauma, excessive exercise, drug overdose, seizures, metabolic disorders, and connective tissue disease and also seen in athletes. The appropriate hydration and drugs with frequent monitoring can help the person to come out of the situation.