Meaning of empty gestational sac, possibility of foetus later ?

I had an IUI done on march 23, 2012. Had positive blood work and HCG levels went from 100 at 4 weeks to over 1500 4 days later. I am 7 weeks and I went in to have transvaginal ultrasound yesterday to see a heartbeat . Only thing my doctor could see was an empty gestational sac . He called it a missed abortion. I m struggling with this deeply and wondered if he could be wrong? Is it common to see the fetus later? I m scared and can t sleep because it s taken us 3 1/2 years to concieve. Can someone help me or give me hope?
Asked On : Tue, 1 May 2012