Marriage between first cousins. Will children borne by such couples have defects?

Hello ... This is XXXXXXX...I have a query regarding cross cousin marriages....we, my cousin(daughter of my father s sister) and me are in love from last 3 years....recently one of my friend saying that cross cousin marriages leads to defected childs and one more person saying If parents marriage is cross cousin than children also do the same than the problems in children will be there. In her family , and mine , No one has any defect....and my parents and her parents marriage is not a cousin marriage..... Kindly give a clarification.... we love each other very much, dont want to separate and we are interested in the coming child health also.... Kindly do the needful.
Asked On : Tue, 24 Jul 2012

consanguinous marriage......that is marrying cousins as described by you could result in congenital problems in children

this is possible even though the marriage is first generation or second generation

this should be avoided whenever possible

the chances of congenital anamolies, various other disorders increases in such marriage

such marriages should be avoided whenever possible

thank you

take care