Main causes of headache

What are the main causes of headache?
Asked On : Sat, 3 Nov 2012
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013
Thank you for posting your query.

The commonest causes of headache are migraine and tension headache, both more common in women. In men, cluster headache is more common.

Other causes of headache include meningitis (brain fever), cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST), brain tumours, blood clots in brain, aneurysms, brain haemorrhage, etc. These can be diagnosed with CT or MRI brain scans.

Headache can also occur due to problems in eye, sinuses, and teeth.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: