MRI shows spondylosis, disc dehyration, broad-based herniation

I am 39y/M, 75 Kg, 169 Cm. My MRI SCAN report says -----OBSERVATIONS: Sacralisation of L5 with rudimentary L5-S1 disc. Lumbar spine shows mild spondylosis with normal alignment. Vertebral bodies show normal marrow signal intensities. Appendages are normal. No evidence of osteolysis / osteosclerosis. No evidence of spondylolysis / listhesis. Mild facetal and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy noted at L3-4 and L4-5 levels. Conus is normal in size and signal intensity. No extradural/intradural/ intramedullary mass lesion. No pre or para vertebral soft tissue mass lesion seen. -----Intervertebral levels: Disc dehydration is noted at L4-5 level. L4-5: Broad based herniation causing mild impingement on thecal sac and bilateral adjacent traversing L5 nerve roots.
Asked On : Mon, 26 Nov 2012
Radiologist 's  Response
The broad based disc herniation at L4-L5 level represents a backward movement of your disc (commonly referred to as slip disc). This disc may compress the nerves within your spinal canal and cause pain (usually shooting pain radiating along your thigh and leg). However, in your case the herniation is mild and does not appear to be a cause of much worry. However, if you do have shooting pain / tingling or numbness of your feet or toes then you may need to consult an Orthopaedic Surgeon to treat the disc herniation.

Sacralization of the L5 vertebra is a common variant in the anatomy of the vertebral column. It usually does not cause any problems except that it makes the L4-L5 disc more prone to stress and this has probably contributed to the mild disc herniation that you have at this level. However, the sacralization need not be a cause of worry for you.

The rest of the findings on your scan are near normal for your age and body habitus.