MRI shows degenerative changes in the spine. Advised to undergo back surgery. Opinion?

My mom s MRi report shows degenrative changes in the spine . Transitional vertebra at lumarosacral junction with sacralisation of L5 vertebral body. Also its mentions posterocentral and paracentral disc protusion at L5-l4 with minimal cranial migration causing identation of thecal sac and narrowing of bilateral lateral recess / foramen compressing exiting nerve roots. Doctors in India have adviced undergoing an back surgery with 50 -50 percent chances but we are a little concern about undergoing a back surgery. We are not sure about the chances and also recovery time needed. Your advise will be greatly apprciated.
Asked On : Tue, 1 Jan 2013