MRI shows back pain due to degenerative disc disease. Surgery required?

My MRI shows the source of your back pain may be: Degenerative disc disease at L4-L5 with a diffuse disc bulge and bilateral exiting nerve root impingement. The doctor has given me an appointment next week to talk further about the MRI results. I am a little worried about how this will impact my life? How can the disc bulge get treated - will it require a surgery. And what about the bilateral exiting nerve root impingement? How does that get treated?
Asked On : Sun, 7 Oct 2012