MRI showed spondylosis, severe spinal stenosis, no relief with physical therapy. Any thoughts?

Hi, I m 64 and fairly active. I play golf 2-3 times a week and we do alot of camping(motorhome) and love to hike and go for walks. For the past 2 years I have had significant low back pain which originally started on left side but has now gone to the right side for over the past year. I have really bad pain when standing in place for about 5 minutes or so. I can not get on treadmill and no longer able to go on walks without pain in my rt buttocks and down my calf and numbness in my right foot. It feels like a pinched nerve. An MRI confirmed spondylosis at the lowest 3 levels with severe spinal stenosis at L4-L5 on a multifactorial basis. Moderate neuroforaminal narrowing is worse on left at L3-L4 and bilaterally at L4-L5 as well. Lateral recess narrowing at L5-S1 bilaterally may effect descending S1s. I been to physical therapy with no success. Accupuncture didn t work nor have the 3 epidurals I have had over the past year. This problem has truly affected mine and my husbands life and I desperately want to get back to atleast being able to go on walks or shop in a store without trying to find a spot to sit down or lift my leg until the pain deceases. I can get out of our golf cart and swing the golf club without pain but if I stand on the greens for any time it begins again. Sitting with my legs up and laying down do not bother me at all just standing or walking. I am suppose to meet with a surgeon who has already recommended surgery but we are going back to hear the details. First time I was there surgery was not an option. Now I am ready. Only problem is that although I did like the ortho surgeon I am not sure if I should ask for a neuro surgeon. Any thoughts?????????? Thanks you for your time. I m not ready to hit the couch yet. I have already limited my golf and even gone without for 3 weeks which made no difference in my pain level. Linda
Asked On : Fri, 18 Jan 2013