MRI showed paracentral protrusion with compression of cauda equina and nerve route, annular diffuse. Meaning?

helo doctor i am neethu working as a o.t nurse in saudi arabia my mom has the problem we did the mri the result is like these,focal centraland left paracentral protrusion of L4 L5 IV DISC WITH COMPRESSION of cauda equina and nerve route,mild diffuse annular ,bulge is also noted at disc level,mild defect annular bulge at L2L3L4 levels with nerve route compression
Asked On : Sun, 28 Oct 2012
Hi Neetu,

Thank you for sending your mother's MRI report for opinion.

These reports are suggestive of nerve compression in the lumbar (lower back) region due to disc prolapse.

The common symptoms due to this disease can be low back pain, leg pain, tingling & numbness in feet and difficulty in walking.

Initial treatment consists of physiotherapy and medications (such as gabapentin and methycobal).

If the patient does not improve with above treatment, surgery may be required in 10% of patients.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Radiologist Dr. Joao Soares Fernandes's  Response
Hello and thank you for your query,

Your motherĀ“s MRI is showing significant disc herniation at L4- L5 level, causing global compression of the nerve roots (the cauda equina) within the spinal canal.
This might cause neurological symptoms, and your mother should seek specialized (Neurosurgery ou Orthopedics) opinion for a proper neurological examination and treatment.
The other findings correspond to mild disk degeneration - I suspect that, as they are mild, they should not cause nerve root compression - please double check your report.

I wish you and your mother Good Health!