Lumps under chin, chronic condition, movable. Root canal for tooth done, swelling of lumps. Can these lumps be cancerous?

I have two hard lumps that are almost in the same area under my chin on both sides. I have had them for a few years. When they first appeared I was told that they were due to an abcess. The lumps never went away. I am able to move them a bit but they have never caused any discomfort. Three days ago I had a root canal done on the tooth . The lump on the side where the root canal was done has gotten larger and hurts. I am really worried that the lump has grown in size. Whenever I have asked my dentist about it I was always told that it formed as a result of the abcess...but shouldn t that have gone away? I m just worried that it may be cancerous and have been given the wrong advice all these years! Please help!
Asked On : Mon, 16 Jul 2012