Lumps on knees, under the skin, painful. What does it sound like?

Hi there.... When I bend my knee it's a like a bony lump sticks out, at the top of my left knee on the left side just above the knee cap, the lump is under the skin but it's like the skin is stretched over it... It is very painful especially after sitting for a while... It almost feels like it's cutting into the skin from underneath... It can't be felt when leg is straightened
Asked On : Sat, 12 Oct 2013
Sep 2013
Thanks for the query to H.C.M. Forum.
Since you mentioned that there is lump just above the patella ( knee cap ) , so it is very difficult to understand , where is it.
In my opinion this may be at the lower end of femur so may be ,
1 osteochondroma , diagnosis can be confirmed by X ray and c t scan . Biopsy is also an important diagnostic tool on the basis of clinical and radiological appearance . This type of tumor is usually benign in nature if not from long time.
2 Aneurysmal bone cysts , diagnosis can be confirmed by clinical as well physical examination by an orthopedic surgeon.
3 Malignant tumor of bone , diagnosis on the basis of Xray , C T scan, physical , clinical examination by an orthopedic doctor.
In my opinion at once consult an orthopedic surgeon and get his opinion and treatment .
Good luck.
Dr. HET