Lump on upper back near neck, have intense upper back pains. Are they related?

HI I have a weird lump on my upper back, close to my neck on my right side. I have had an ultra sound and have a surgery booked to remove it, but not for another month. I have been having really bad upper back pains and am not sure if the two are connected. The surgern said he cant tell what it is until he sees in when he cuts. The bump is not too big and hasnt grown, it sometimes hurts. I am really confused on what this is and if I should be worried or not
Asked On : Sat, 20 Oct 2012