Lump on thigh under skin, no bruising, unsure about injury. MRI required?

I just noticed a few days ago a lump in my upper right back of my thigh. I only noticed it because I felt some pain so I laid on my bed and lifted my right leg and was looking for a bruise . There is no bruise but when I press around I feel a lump and it hurts. Not sure if I bumped it and forget that I did it but had I done that I d think I d have remembered doing it. I wasn t sure if I should see my PCP and see what he thinks, possible MRI?
Asked On : Mon, 14 Jan 2013