Lump on the neck with severe pain. Cyst?

I have a lump on my neck , it s been there for around 5yrs now but gas got bigger and still is. The doc said it was a cyst but there was nothing that could be done. Over the past few wks it s become painful and for 1wk I could turn or move my neck without being in excruciating pain which reduced me to teats! I m scared to go to the docs now. What should I do?
Asked On : Sat, 2 Feb 2013
Thanks for writing in.
It can be a cyst with infection,muscle haematoma,radiculopathy etc.
A visit to your doctor is must at the earliest.
Till the time you can take analgesic like Ibuprofen twice daily.
Avoid any movements that give rise to pain as it may further aggravate the injury.
Hope this helps.