Lump on shin between ankle and knee. Hard, tender to touch. Painful. What is it?

Hi I have found a lump on my shin equal distance between ankle and knee . I first noticed it 8 weeks ago, I don t remember injuring myself and it s never been bruised. It is hard and tender to the touch. It has grown slightly measuring approx.1.5 inches in diameter. I am getting pain in it mainly at night which occasionally goes down to my ankle can you suggest what it may be befor I waste my gps time? Kindest regards Mandy
Asked On : Mon, 24 Sep 2012