Lump on left rib cage that's growing, painful and oozing pus. What is this ?

hi, my father is having a lump on his left rib cage from past two years. he is very stobborn and afraid of doctors. the lump initially was very small and used to pain then it got bigger and black in colour almost like an brinjal after 6 months it broke out and huge amount of puss came out and till date puss is coming bt in small amount and there are several holes in that place . lump has gone down but it still pains and puss is coming. pls help i m vry scared for my father.
Asked On : Wed, 8 Aug 2012
From your history I'm first thinking in terms of osteomyelitis.

I'd advice you to consult an orthopedic surgeon to rule out it. Blood investigations, pus culture, X Ray etc. may have to be done.

You have mentioned no history of trauma. And by the location of the swelling I am of the opinion that the etiology of osteomyelitis would most probably be tuberculosis. If the diagnosis is TB you will have to take meditations for st least six months.

Only after ruling out osteomyelitis only I'd think of other causes like soft tissue infections.

Wish your father good health.