Lump on jaw, no pain

I have a small marble size lump, on the left side of my jaw . It s right at the jaw line, half way between my ear and center chin . It does hurt when pressed. I m a 59yr old female, and thought that it might be an infected chin hair , but I don t think so. It has been there 4 days, and I have been using warm compresses, but it s not coming to a head.
Asked On : Mon, 9 Apr 2012
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
1. Lump at the jaw line [lower jaw] could be a TMJ [temporo mandibular joint] disorder.
2. It might be a swollen lymph node. You need to have an x-ray taken to see where the infection originated before you have more swelling and more pain.
3. This can also happen because of sore throat,cold,or a toothache or due to swollen salivary glands, sebaceous cysts, and even tumors.

.Any lump under the jaw should be evaluated by a physician [dentist or maxilo facial] if it does not go away or grows bigger, for physical therapy or surgery, please contact a health professional immediately.
.treatment will depend after the examination and the type of tissue [i.e. if it arises from the muscle or fatty tissue in the jaw, the bone or is thought to be an enlarged lymph node, since each of these situations may be investigated differently so will be the treatment.