Lump on foot. Why did it get ice cold? Why tingling and sharp pain?

Halfway through a workday recently, I noticed a lump on the top of my right foot that was about the size of a large marble, not hard but also not soft. The foot also had become ice cold . Within 48 hours, the lump started to disappear but the ice cold sensation did not and there has been discoloration of the top and outer side of the foot ever since. There is also constant pain, largely dull but with some intermittent sharp pain and tingling . In the last week, by noon each day my foot starts to hurt and the foot gets colder and colder and by 2:00 p.m. each day, I can no longer feel the toes in my right foot. I saw my primary physician about this and he ruled out a blood clot based on measurements he took of both of my calves. No ultrasound was ordered. I experienced no trauma to the foot. Everything I ve explained just suddenly and without explanation, happened one day about 3 weeks ago. I m not sure what to do and I have a trip I ve postponed because it requires me to fly across the country. I m a bit paranoid at this point and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Asked On : Sun, 26 Aug 2012