Lump near the ankle, painful to touch. Planning to get back to fitness plan. What could it be?

hello my name is kim and I was wondering if you could shed some light on a small problem with my foot .. I have a small lump just under the skin just near my ankle which is hard and very painful to touch and walk with.. it comes up for about 2 weeks (and puts me through hell) and eventually goes away ..I have a job where I am on my feet all day and am just starting to get back to my fitness plan..what do you think it could be? thank you
Asked On : Sat, 26 Jan 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014

According to your description , pain and swelling over your lump seems to be inflammatory in nature.

I advice you to give you rest to the part affected, take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) to reduce pain and inflammation and consult your doctor for thorough examination of ankle and rule out any infective cause.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.