Lump located in the bend of arm, right beside vein, growing in size, numbness in fingers. On medication. History of RA. Treatment?

i have a lump located in the bend of my right arm with palms up the lump is located on the outerside .it is not my vain but it is right beside it.the lump started out to be about pea size but now it is as big as the tip of my thumb .before the lump popped up i was getting numbness in my fingers every hurts to bend my arm to brush my hair and it hurts when i snuggle with my pillows, i do have RA and i am on meds that brake down my immunesystem.........please help
Asked On : Tue, 10 Jul 2012
Infectious Diseases Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM.
I am suspecting a ganglion which is nothing but swelling of tendon sheath or synovial sheath. These swellings usually occur nearby joints and are painless. They are common in patients suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. They become painful when inflamed. They usually resolve by themselves. They can increase in size and compress on the nearby nerves causing neurological symptoms.
The fluid in them can be aspirated or they can be surgically removed. I suggest over the counter painkillers for the pain. I also suggest an orthopedic opinion to decide on surgical removal or aspiration. Thanks.