Lump in throat, root ulcer. Undergoing third surgery, radiotherapy, chemotherapy ruled out. Causes?

My brother is being treated for a lump in the throat , this will be his third surgery and radiotherapy and chemotherapy have been ruled out, my Mother keeps calling it a root ucler the worst one with the tentacles? I m sure this is an old fashioned name and I would like to know what she means so I can at least get some of idea of what my brother is facing. He s a typical male won t talk to anybody about it, amazed my Mother has managed to get anything out of him, anyway he s to go in immediately, soon as there is a theatre slot. Could you please try and give me a better idea of what it actually is? Thank you.
Asked On : Mon, 30 Jul 2012