Lump in the neck, pain in the ear due to ear infections, headaches. Had vascular doppler ultrasound of the carotid artery. What is this for?

I have a lump on my neck where you feel for your pulse . I ve had this for a few years. However, recently I have had severe pains in my ears and had been told I had a double ear infection ...which now a month later has not gone away. I get very bad headaches daily and I hear a whoosing sound of my pulse in my right ear from time to time which is the same side where the lump is in my neck. I had a vascular doppler ultrasound of the right caroted artery done today, which my ENT wanted done. However he did not tell me why. I m just curious if this is all related or if something is wrong with my artery
Asked On : Mon, 6 Aug 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response are correct in assuming that your doctor is looking out for any abnormalities in your artery , or he may be suspecting a mass arising from the artery. don't worry. please follow his advice and you will be alright soon. thanks