Lump in the ankle due to injury. Should I apply ice or heat? History of varicose veins

I have a lump on my ankle on the inside caused by being hit by an object. I have had long-term vericose veins and this particular ankle had quite a bit of injury to it from my youth, having had it stuck in between the spokes of a moving bicycle. It has, since that time, been very discolored and now a lump of blood has formed (about the size of a walnut) where it was hit. I am elevating it presently. Should I apply ice or heat? Should I be seen? Thank you. Nancy
Asked On : Sat, 7 Jul 2012