Lump in breast. Ultrasound confirmed breast cancer. Done surgery. How long could I have had cancer?

I am 35 years old and not at the age for yearly mammograms. After feeling a lump in my breast I had an ultra sound , a mammogram and a biopsy that confirmed I had breast cancer . The size of the tumor at time of my surgery was 1.6 cm. The surgeon originally told me that he estimated I had cancer for about 4 years prior to the surgery but now when asked again how long I may have had it will not give an answer. How long could I have had breast cancer prior to my being able to feel the lump?
Asked On : Fri, 9 Nov 2012