Lump beneath the skin on the shin below the knee and beneath left nipple, movable and painless. How to determine if these are harmless cysts?

Hello. My son is almost three and I noticed a lump beneath the skin about a month ago. It is smaller than a pea, on the shin just below the knee. It is movable and painless. He has had a lump of similar size and characteristics beneath his left nipple since he was an infant which has never changed and his pediatrician has continued to monitor without concern. How can I tell if these are harmless cysts or malignant? (I just started working as an oncology nurse and everything seems like cancer to me now) Thank you!
Asked On : Tue, 14 Aug 2012