Lump below knee, no pain or redness or swelling. Done remedial massage. Related to hip muscle tightness?

Hi, Today I noticed a lump below my knee and halfway between the knee and the outside edge of my leg. I think I may have noticed it years ago, not sure if it went away or I haven't though anymore of it.
Doesn't feel like its attached to anything as I seem to be able to move it up and down. It doesn't hurt. There is no redness, no swelling and no pain.
I have had 2 remedial massages in the last 2 weeks and the therapist has been doing some work on my hip and knee as she said the muscle from my hip into my leg has been extremely tight (cant remember which muscle she said it was). Could it be related to that?
Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013
Hi Thanks for using HCM.

Could it be related to that? No. It is not related to the muscle you are stating.

The swelling what you are refering may be due to injury happend in your younger days or some benign mass if no other symptoms like loss of weight, pain, sudden change in size and colour changes. Just show to your Orthopedician once to rule out malignant tumor.

Hope I answered your question. Wish you good health. Take care.

Dr. Lohit
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.
As per the description, the swelling is not arising from deeper structures and is not arising from the bone as it is freely mobile. Any swelling not resulting due to trauma or injury needs observation. An evaluation is necessary in the following instances -
* if the size of the swelling increases rapidly
* if it becomes painful or tender to touch
* if there is any change in the colour of skin overlying the lump
* if it becomes suddenly soft in consistency
Hope this helps