Lump behind the ear comes and goes

I sometimes get this lump the size a pea behind my ear causing sharp pains but then disappears. What is it ?
Asked On : Wed, 6 Jun 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response

The lump you have described behind the ear seems like a lymph node which has got infected. The lymph nodes here commonly get infected if you have scalp or ear infections. If they are not very large and very painful if can be ignored provided you dont have any scalp or ear infection. You could take some painkillers to relive the symptoms and if it continues to be a trouble better to meet a ENT specialist.

I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr Divya
General & Family Physician Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari's  Response

Thanks for writing in.

Lump behind the ear can be enlarged lymph node.

The lymph node increases when there is infection and diminishes when it clears up.

It can occur with dandruff also.

Best regards,

Dr. Neelam.