Lump at the hinge of jaw, swelling, spot at the back of jaw, pain

I have a lump in the hinge of my jaw . Very swollen. It s in the soft spot on the back of my ear. It has been causing me a lot of pain lately whether I am eating, talking or though any movement of my jaw. There is a lot of pressure too. It has been swollen for a while and I m not sure what to do. There are occasional outburts of excruciating pain in the same soft spot that last for a minute or so. I m very concerned but hope it isn t something extreme which is why I have not yet seen a doctor. Thank you so much for your time
Asked On : Sun, 11 Mar 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response

Welcome in H.C.M.

I have gone through your query regarding lump over hinge of jaw, giving rise to pain on eating, speaking and all jaw movement.

Here I would like to say the common lump in this particular area are of-

1- Parotid lump.

2- Pre auricular lymphadenitis.

3- Arthritis of Temporomandibular joint.

All these lumps when appears as acute are always painfull and most of the time pain is felt in ear with all movements of jaw. On the other hand if lump is chronic than usually pain is no more felt by patient.

To diagnose it and to manage these few basic investigations are necessary-

1- X-Ray OPG (orthopentogram)

2- Ultrasonic study of lump.

3- FNAC from lump.

Above investigations will help in reaching to correct diagnosis and accordingly you may consult specialist for curative treatment.