Lt para central small-medium disc herniation. Dr advises surgery. Any conservative treatment ?

I am AAAA from India. I have a Lt para central small-medium disc herniation at L4/5. It does impinge upon the traversing Lt L5 nerve root . The doctors are suggesting for surgery as they say that the sponge between two bones has come out and its pressing root nerve and there is no other way out apart from surgery. The pain was radiating towards my left leg. As of now I have pain but its not unbearable and things have improved after 10 days of bed rest. Is traction is helpful in this case? I want to avoid the surgery and more inclined to conservative treatment. Please suggest. Thanks..
Asked On : Mon, 13 Aug 2012