Lower back pain, numbness in hip, tingling spine. MRI showed degenerative change in L5-S1 disc. Pain management?

Hi, I have been experiencing lower back pain, numbness in my left hip and tingling up and down my spine . My doctor originally sent me to a chiropractor. After the second visit to the chiropractor my symptoms became worse. Now it is almost impossible for me to sit without pain. On Monday I had an MRI and it states the following: Degenerative change in the L5-S1 disc and endplates with small left posterolateral protrusion and overlying osteophyte formation causing mild indentation of the left anterior surface of the thecal sac at this level. No appreciable compression of the nerve roots at this or other levels is seen. I have been referred to a spinal surgeon but that is not for another month. Any recommendations for pain management until then?
Asked On : Sun, 12 Aug 2012