Lower abdominal pain, spasms, small bowel movements, blood with mucus in stools. Medical attention required?

Hi, I woke up yesterday with a lot of pain all along my lower abdomin....painful spasms off and on all day. I woke up this morning and had a painful small bowl movement and there was a small amount of bright red mucosy blood . I still have a bit of pain but not as bad as yesterday....I do suffer from IBS but never passed blood and never had those spasms....whats going on an do I need to go to emerge?
Asked On : Tue, 4 Dec 2012
Hello. I'm Dr. Christensen.
Your concerns about the blood in your stool are well-founded. Bloody stools should always prompt you to seek medical attention, as they could be a sign of any one of several conditions: inflammatory bowel disease (e.g., ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease), diverticular disease, angiodysplasia (fragile blood vessels in the intestinal wall), peptic ulcer disease, intestinal polyps, internal hemorrhoids and cancer are all associated with rectal bleeding. Obviously, some of these disorders can be quite serious.
Irritable bowel syndrome doesn't usually cause rectal bleeding. It's worth noting that many people who have been diagnosed with IBS are eventually discovered to have other intestinal disorders, such as inflammatory bowel disease or celiac disease.
While your current symptoms may not warrant a visit to the emergency room, you should see a doctor as soon as possible. If your pain becomes severe, if you develop a fever, or if your bleeding recurs, it would be appropriate to go to the ER.
I hope that answers your question, and I hope things go well!