Lower abdominal pain. Has a cyst in adnexal region. What is going on?

My wife has pain in left side of her lower abdomen from 6th march. She saw doctor and gave her some blood test. Ultrasonogram is done found following findings : Uterus is anteverted and normal in size. Echotexture of the myometrium and endometrium of the uterus appears normal. Endometrial thickness is 8 mm. Uterine cavity is empty. There is a cystic structure measuring about (2.1/1.7)cm seen in the left adnexal region. Right adnexal appears normal. Cul_de_sac is free of any collection . After seeing this ultrasonogram doctor gave her urine pregnancy test at once and found negative. In this situation what can be the possible cause of pain and what could it be she found in that left adnexal region. Please help me giving me some ideas. I am really worried as getting pregnant in that region may cause death what i have seen in the internet. Please note, she has had her period on 25th february lasted till 28th. We had last unprotected sex on 14th February. Also note 3/4 months earlier earlier she had emergency birth control pil. Please help me to give some ideas.
Asked On : Mon, 11 Mar 2013