Lower abdomen pain, bloated abdomen, spells of constipation, loose motion. Does it require immediate medical attention?

Hello I m a 26yo Female, Ive been having pain in my sides and also lower abdomina for about a month at first I thought it was gas but for the pass week they have been worse keeping me up at night. The pain seems to be more intense after eating. The pain is so bad sometimes I cant stand up straight! My abdomen is bloated and I feel constipated some days and others I have to practically live in the bathroom! I m just wondering if its something I can get rid of on my own or should I see my Doctor?
Asked On : Wed, 8 Aug 2012
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Hello Latashaholbert,
Lower abdominal pain associated with bloating and change in bowel habita
are indicative of "Spastic Colon " or "Irritable Bowel Syndrome ". You are in
right age group for that to occur. Pain can get worse after eating and your
body will react more to distension from gas . Sometimes IBS can follow an
infection . Also certain food sensitivity such as wheat,Barley or oats due
to gluten can cause digestive problems. Lactose intolerance can cause
gas bloating .We are also diagnosing "Celiac disease " more and more,
an autoimmune disorder again due to Gluten sensitivity. There are good
blood tests to rule these out. I want you to discuss this with your doctor.
General Surgeon Dr. Grzegorz Stanko's  Response
Definitely you should see a doctor.
Your symptoms might be caused by kidney or urinary tract inflammation/stones. Your young age and the symptoms you have described can suggest that it might be Crohn`s disease beginning.
You should have abdomen ultrasound, blood test and abdomen X-ray performed. Abdomen CT might be necessary as well.