Low haemoglobin level, diabetes, dry gangrene, performed peripheral angioplasty, on anticlotting medicines. Is low haemoglobin levels, the side effects of drugs?

My Grandfather is aged 82. He had blood vomit due to one of the oral antidiabetic medicine. The haemoglobin levels had dropped to 6.6 and he was transfused with 2 units of whole blood raising the levels to 7.8. Doc had stopped his delayed release asprin to prevent any internal bleeding . It was further descontinued for 4 months unknowingly. He later had a bruise in the toe which developed a dry gangrene and periferal angioplasty was conducted to restore the blood flow. The toe fell off on its own and additional anticloting medicines were started ( Clopidogrel , asprin and cilostazol) post angioplasty. The blood haemoglobin levels had risen to 9.5 during the course (about 8 months post-vomitting) and now it dropped again to 8.7. He is currenly taking Multivit tab Supradyn (Morning), cilostazol (morning), Asprin-clopidet (afternoon), atorvastatin + fenofibrate (night), escitalopram (night) and Folic acid + B6 +B12 tab (night). The diabetes is managed with insulin 8-8-8 units/day. The sugar reports are 103 and 138mg/dl (fasting and PP respectively) and never above 180 (PP). When he was on antidiabetic tabs (voglibose, glimepiride, metformin, glipizide and some other) sugar was between 130-150 (F) and 170-240 (PP). The recent CBC has Erythrocytes 2.9 mil/cumm Hb 8.7 gms/dl Lecocytes 6000/cumm Platelet 2.15 lac/cmm PCV 26.9 % MCV 92.8 Femto lt MCH 30.2 pico-gm MCHC 15.1 % Neutrophils 42% Lymphocytes 56 % Eosino 02 % Monocytes 00 Baso 00 RBC morphology Hypochromia + Microcytosis+ / Anisocytosis+ Creatinin 1.6 Sugar (F) 103.6 mg/dl Sugar (PP) 138 mg/dl I wold like to know if there is any correlation withe drugs related haemoglobin drop and what should be the solution?
Asked On : Tue, 10 Jul 2012