Low back pain with numbness radiating down both legs. MRI shows minimal disc bulge, borderline spinal stenosis. Alternatives ?

Hi Dr Kerrthi, My husband had an MRI on Friday. He is having a lot of lower back pain with pain and numbness radiating down both legs. The MRI showed L4-L5- Minimal disc bulge. Borderline spinal stenosis at this level, but primarily due to short pedicles. L5-S1- Disc desiccation . A small right paracetral disc protrusion with caudal migration of disc. This is in proximity to the right S1 nerve roots in the lateral recess . No spinal or foraminal stenosis. Impression: 1. L5-S1 disc degeneration wich could be a source for right S1 radiculitis. 2. No significant spinal stenosis. There is a mild degree of congenital stenosis at L4-L5. From these findings what would you sugest as far as surgery vs. other tx.? My husband is 6 6 and 300 lbs. I know weight loss would help him greatly but this pain has been ongoing for a few years. Wondering if it s too late for alterative treatments?
Asked On : Tue, 30 Oct 2012