Losing sense of smell after removing meningoima, phantom smells. Normal MRI. Part of healing process?

Hi I had a meningioma removed from my brain that was pushing up against my optic nerve 2 years ago. I have had two MRI's since my surgery, and everything looks great. The problem is right after my surgery I was recovering just fine and some time possibly 4-6 weeks after surgery I must have lost my sense of smell. I could definitely smell after surgery! I can taste,but can't smell. I sometimes have phantom smells. Do you think this may be part of the slow healing process? Should I try acupuncture?
Asked On : Wed, 1 May 2013