Losing hair on left side of head, going to take thyroid test. Is it just hormones?

I am 43 and have been losing hair slowly in recent years. Six months ago, I developed a few patches of alopecia areata and was treated, but the dermatologist noticed the whole left side of my head is thinning. Now in the last month, I ve been losing twice the amount of hair I usually do on a daily basis. I am having a thyroid test coming up but I don t have any other symptoms of thyroid disease . Is it just hormones? I do not take any birth control pills or any hormones.
Asked On : Thu, 28 Jun 2012