Lose stools with pain in the lower back. No change in diet. Causes?

In the past few days my bowel movements have suddenly changed from being very regular and solid to being very irregular and lose. I ve also notice pain, whihc has tonight become severe in my lower back on the right side. Other than these symptoms i feel in good health and my diet has not changed. advice needed please and thanks.
Asked On : Sat, 24 Nov 2012

Thank you for the query.

If there is no particular reason for such stool change in the diet or stress, it is necessary to have some diagnostics as maybe there is a reason inside the intestine. Such symptoms can be caused by urinary tract infection, intestine inflammation disease, intestine infection, food poisoning, stress or even colon cancer.
You should have some diagnostics: abdominal ultrasound, full blood work, urine analysis, liver tests, pancreas tests. If no findings and your age is 50 or above, colonoscopy should be performed.
If you are under 50, occult fecal blood in stool should be checked.
If no findings in all this tests, and symptoms still will be present, you may try Rifaximine therapy.

Hope this will help.
hello declancampbell,
u seem to be suffering from acute gastroenteritis, as u say that ur diet has not changed, it could be something in ur normal diet that would have led to this complaint. it could be either a fermented food, spicy or pungent food or a stale food. also the pain in ur lower back on right side could be due to this but it is advisable to visit a nearby doctor to assess clinically the cause of sudden changes in ur bowel movements as well as the pain. till then have a fluid and bland diet.
take care,
DR. Rooma Ramnani (
Healthcaremagic Community