Loosing temper fast, what should I do ?

hi doctor, at times I get to lose my temper and starts shouting at my boy friend he irritates me a lot. I get frustrated about this. I get anger to the extreme and could not control myself from it. it looses my peace. how can I control my anger.
Asked On : Thu, 27 Jan 2011
Hi Surya,

It depends on where you are in terms of the professional help you can get.

Doing yoga may help you to calm yourself so that you are not so sensitive/emotional to events that are disturbing you (like your friend's affecting you)

Mindfulness sessions help by changing the way you think/react emotionally to events/people/relations/happenings in the world.

Anger management or Aggression control courses help you to change your behaviour in many ways for ex channelling your emotions constructively etc

CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) can help you by making you think about your thoughts, feelings, actions an their interrelationships

Hobbies like music or physical exercises like cycling help you feel happy in yourselves there by diverting your anger

Breathing techniques help you by stopping you from acting on the intensse surge of emotion/anger that you feel when faced with events, thus stopping you from "behaving" or acting on emotions at their height and giving you time to think clearly.

Try and choose depending on what helps you or what is available.

Good Luck
thanks doctor,,,,

Am also kinda sensitive person....like i don wanna miss my loved ones at any cost....What am trying to say is...I LOVE MY MOM very much...I cannot imagine a life without her...she s hale and healthy,,,but still i worry about her...my mind runs always behind her...Always i imagine as though my mom is dead and i cry sitting near her....why is this happening to me....am i abnormal...plz advise,,
Psychiatrist Dr. B Raghavendra's  Response
Hi Surya,

It will need a far more thorugh assessment than waht I could do in a public forum like this. Please utilise the services of healthcaremagic.com to consult if you want a specialist opinion. I am available there :-)

Good Luck
can u plz say me where your clinic reside...
Hi Surya,

I work in UK and I can "treat" patients in "UK and India only" as I am registered with medical councils of both countries but can provide only "consultation" to the rest of the world patients, online only. Am in Hyderabad, India for a day on this 3rd of february if that is of any help.