Long distance friend has Jekyll and Hyde personality, tries to be close at times and then refrains, had head injury in the past. Advice?

OK I have a frind who i ve known for almost a year now we have had many conversations and have talked a lot and sometimes we talk about things and i guess to me seems she has a jekyl and hyde personality what i mean is we would talk and after a while lots of times the conversations would go different ways for example she has stated she wants me just as a friend nothing more but then we talk and after a period of time she would start giving me indicators she wanted to be more then friends and tel me she loves me and sometimes would indicate again she would like to pursue seing if we coul be more then friends and then the next day i would ask her about it and she would go off on me saying she never said that i dont want nothing more then friends and i m not getting it to the point she involved others to get this through me and this has gone on and on and to me seems like i m talking to 2 seperate people do i make sense so far? to me its like when she goes to sleep a reset button is hit and i don t know what is fact and fiction. As I said sometimes at night we talk its ok then she does start indicating she wants more then friends and she even dictated a letter to me stating that but when i confront her about it she says i don t remember that or i never said that and some of her actions she does for example we went out once and we had a moment so to speak which was fine but then again i would ask her the next day and she would give the excuse i was so stressed out that dayi dont know what i was doing and it shouldn t have happened. I hope i have given enough information. now i know she had a car accident a long time ago and i think injured her head but i know she is seeing a psychologist and psychiatrist to help with a lot of problems so i honestly don t know whats going on or even if i explained this right its like things we talk aboutthe night before are erased and it goes back to square one
Asked On : Mon, 8 Oct 2012
Hi and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question...

Such kind of unstable, fluctuating behaviour can be seen in a variety of psychiatric problems, like personality disorders, dissociative identity disorders, etc. A detailed history (including past and personal history) and a comprehensive psychological assessment is required to come to a definitive diagnosis. It's good that she is taking the help of a psychiatrist and psychologist. Your level of involvement with her is your personal choice, but it is better to be cautious about getting yourself emotionally involved with her before understanding her completely.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist