Locked jaw, sore tonsils, tongue. On oral antibiotics to reduce swelling. Wisdom tooth abscess to be removed. When should I go for IV antibiotics?

My jaw is locked and tonsil , tongue are sore. As of Friday am on antibiotics to get inflammation down so absess wisdom tooth can be removed. I was told if the antibiotics dont respond I will have to be admitted to the hospital and receive IV antibiotics. How long should I give the oral antibiotics to reduce the swelling before I decide on the next course of treatment
Asked On : Tue, 17 Jul 2012
Dentist, Orthodontics 's  Response
usually 5 day oral antibiotic course is sufficient to reduce the swelling . the main problem in your case is not the antibiotic but the lock jaw due to spam in your muscle, so along with antibiotic take muscle relaxant too. do warm saline gargles 5 to 6 times a day and try to break the muscle spam by putting ice cream sticks between your front teeth, gradually increasing the number to increase the mouth opening. .
once the lock jaw is open then rest of the problem can be taken care of subsequently.
take care.