Liver test

With my liver function test, I have high S-ALT (GPT) = 224 IU/L and S-AST (GOT) = 206IU/L. For the Biochemistry eGFR 60mL please interprete
Asked On : Tue, 4 Jan 2011

Welcome to Healthcaremagic Forum

Serum Alanine transaminase (S ALT), also called Serum Glutamic Pyruvate Transaminase (SGPT) is an enzyme present in hepatocytes (liver cells). When a cell is damaged, it leaks this enzyme into the blood, where it is measured. ALT is increased in acute liver damage, such as viral hepatitis or drug induced.
Alkaline phosphatase (ALP) is an enzyme in the cells lining the biliary ducts of the liver. ALP levels in plasma will rise with large bile duct obstruction, intrahepatic cholestasis or infiltrative diseases of the liver. ALP is also present in bone and placental tissue, so it is higher in growing children. its increase in you would be due to the hepatomegaly/oedema caused by the hepatitis.

The reports are suggestive of Hepatitis , wel there are variuos causes of hepatitis hence to rule out alcoholic hepatitis ( if you consume alcohol ) you have to get GGT levels and if due to Hepatitis Virus then you have to rule it out by Virus Antigen determination.

Thanks for visiting