Liver function test done. What does the report indicate?

serum total bilirubin 1.2 mg/dl upto 1.0
Serum DIRECT bilirubin 0.4 mg/dl upto 0.3
SGPT 62 IU/L 0-45
SGOT 48 IU/L 0-40
ALP 99 IU/L 25-140

can u suggest me what is the status of my report,what are the medicines i have to take it

Thanks in advance
Asked On : Sat, 30 Mar 2013
You liver enzymes are indeed abnormal, and you should undergo further testing by a specialist. A medication cannot be recommended until the cause of your abnormal liver enzymes is found.
Therefore you should be tested for viral hepatitis (hepatitis A, B, C), autoimmune liver disease, hemochromatosis, alpha one antytripsin deficiency. You will also need an ultrasound of the liver to make sure there are no stones or tumors in your biliary tree (unlikely if you do not have pain). Also you should avoid alcohol if you drink, and lose weight if you are obese.
General Surgeon Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein's  Response
Apr 2013
Hi and welcome to HCM.
These are mildly elevated parameters.
Before any medicine you need to do liver ultrasound to find is there any particular cause of your abnormal findings. Most common causes are gallbladder stones,hepatitis, alcohol and methabolic syndrome. All these disorders are primary treated by changing life habbits,avoiding alcohol,bad food and toxic drugs. Stones should be managed surgically. There are sme hepatoprotective drugs and ursodeoxicolic acid, but before taking it you should find the exact cause. There is no reason to hurry,nothing will happen in short time. Wish you good health.
General Surgeon Dr. Hari Charan Perigela's  Response
Most of the values are near the upper limit.They can be considered normal.
Please stop alchohol if you are taking it.
You can get an Ultrasound abdomen for the Liver disease.
Hope everything will come normal.
Please take Liv 52 if it is available.
Stop oily foods.
Take fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables.
Nothing to worry.
Wish you good health
Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The impairment is mild - borderline...
You have to repeat the tests...
You need more investigations - ultrasound and blood tests
You have not stated your personal habits, family history or co-morbidities
No need of any medicine at this time
Follow up with a Hepatologist

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck