Little bumps on middle and tip of tongue, slits, skin sticking up. What could it be?

About 18 months ago I started feeling like my tongue had been burned. I am 57 years old and a female. I would notice little bumps all over my tongue mainly toward the middle and tip. Also once in a while I notice what looks like slits in a few areas. Sometimes the center looks like it has skin sticking up. The bumps re the same color as my tongue they don t appear white. I went to my dentist and he couldn t see anything. I can because I know what my tongue looks like but it does keep changing. Right now it is irritated. I cannot remember what brought it on. I do carry a lot of stress. Also, I sleep on the sofa a lot and feel my neck is out of place. One time my head was numb and Dr. thought I could be having a stroke so sent me for test. Someone suggested a chiropractor. And he did an adjustment and it went away. I read where this could be caused by nerve damage? Anyway I am scheduled to see an oral surgeon. Dentist did not think it was oral cancer but he is sending me for second opinion. What should I do? Where do I go for help with this. My diet is awful. I do have old fillings and I have seven screws in my jaw for jaw surgery. I am alergic to shellfish and I was diagnosed with thyroid when I was ten with a goiter . Not on meds I took myself off of synthroid when I was 18. Have had test and things are normal. I have a fear of dental work and the cost is too high so have not been to a dentist in 4 years cannot believe it. How time flies. I would appreciate you input of what to do. Thank you!!!
Asked On : Mon, 9 Apr 2012