Liquid coming out from ears, operated, ill. Is it normal? What precautions should i take to prevent accumlation of water ears?

My mom has a problem with her ears. More then once she has found herself with a liquid in her ears. We have seen specialist for this matter, and they all have recommended having the liquid removed. The problem is that my mom loathes having these operations because it leaves her feeling very ill and disoriented. My question is... is this normal after an operation like this and should it really hurt as much as she claims it to hurt? Also how can she avoid the acumlation of water in her ears?
Asked On : Fri, 8 Mar 2013