Lipoma on back started getting tender, strains moving arm or neck. Could it be infected ?

my doctor said the lump on my back was a lipoma , but said it didn t look infected and since it didn t hurt that I should just leave it alone. I ve had it for over 10 yrs, and i saw my doctor about two months ago. As of about two weeks now it started getting a bit tender then extreme tenderness to where even moving my arm or neck would make me feel the area around it strained. It s grown probably at least 5x the size it was the last time i went to the doctor. When i press on any of the edges there s a little white area that protrudes from it. could this be infected? or could it possibly just be growing all of a sudden? How serious could this be?
Asked On : Thu, 21 Feb 2013