Light periods, no cramps, HPT negative. Usually heavy with cramping. Could this be a miscarriage?

Hi, my periods are usually in a 28 day cycle, usually lasting 5-6 days. They are usually very heavy accompanied by strong cramps .. December 31, 2012 was my last heavy period. According to my calendar, I would have ovulated on January 14th, and my period would be due on the 28th. Starting January 23rd, I began spotting, with light brown/pink that eventually very lightly turned into bright red. there wasn t much of a flow since it was so light I only needed a pantyliner. I had no cramps except slight cramps right before I noticed this. I took a test on the 23rd and it came out negative. This ended on January 27th. Now, On January 6th, I am spotting again, this time it is bright red and I have some small clots and cramping. My husband and I have been trying to conceive and i m not sure what to think of this. this has never happened before. could this be a miscarriage?
Asked On : Wed, 13 Feb 2013