Light periods, color ranging form dark brown to light red, bloating, flatus, constipation, breast tenderness, tubal ligation done. Cause?

My question is that I am 45 years old, my period has always been irregular, I had a tubal ligation in 1990 with my last child. Now I am having a very light period (if I can call it that), color ranging from a dark brown to a light red, bloated, very gassy feeling, constipation , tender breasts, fluttering in the lower ab area, irritable, tired and this has been going on for 3 months now. went to see my doctor and all she would say is maybe you are going thru menopause . :( Any advice on this as to why it is happening.
Asked On : Wed, 23 Jan 2013