Light brown spotting with mild vaginal itching, been off pill. Reasons ?

For the last month I ve been having light brown spotting. I ve experienced some mild vaginal itching as well. Last night when I had intercourse there was bright red blood . Today there is no discharge but mild cramping. I am 51 years old. I m 5 4 and 135 pounds. I have been off the pill almost 6 months. My last period was about 6 weeks ago. Since going off the pill I ve had short cycles (23 days) and occasional spotting right before my period would start.
Asked On : Thu, 14 Feb 2013