Light blue and purple patch on knee, hurts, burns. Had an exploratory surgery on left knee. What is it ?

Hi, I had an exploratory surgery on my left knee about a year ago and they took inflamed fatty tissue from between my bones. I was have knee pains about 4-5 months ago so I got a steroid shot in my knee. About 3 months ago I noticed a patch of skin that had turned a light blue and purple on my knee that looked like a bruise. It grew and hurt so I went to the doctor and he gave me cream. I'm not sure what the cream was called but it made it burn really bad when i used it so I stopped using it. This patch is not pure white and sunken into my knee. It is extremely dry and when I take my fingers over it there's something very hard under the skin and hurts like crazy. What do you think it is?
Asked On : Wed, 10 Apr 2013